Sunday, March 01, 2009

American Cancer Society

Just some thoughts about the American Cancer Society and what the organization does and will do. Started to think about how long the organization has been in the business of fighting cancer. In the past few days, high school friends have been posting old pictures. There were a couple of pictures from "back in the day" when we had alot of events and fundraisers to stop smoking. Honestly, I remember some of those, but not alot. And, I for sure was one of those who thought: cancer will never be a part of my life...it's just for 2-pack a day smokers and old people. One of life's ironies, I guess. Now 43, I am proud to say I'm a 4 year survivor of stage IV squamous cell carcinoma at the base of the tongue. Cancer. In the early 1980s, didn't know much about the American Cancer Society. Today, I do. And, I'm glad. Just wish I would have been passionate then as I am now. Thank you ACS! Thank you Relay For Life!

No comments: